David Corbin wrote:

> Today, when I booted, I got one red !! from the init.d script. Now, I know
> how I can try to figure out what's going, but I'd like to know the "proper
> Gentoo" way.  Is the output or errors from this script logged somewhere?
>
> Starting the problem script by hand later worked, so I suspect it's a
> timing thing.

Which script failed?

There's a couple ways to go about it.

1. dmesg
   Read 'man dmesg' to find out what it's all about.  Boot problames can
often be found here... but sometimes it's like looking for a needle in a
haystack.

2. /var/log/everything/
   This is (in theory) a place to go to see all errors logged through the
kernel logging feature.  The most recent logfile is typically called
'current.'  Thus, the command 'cat /var/log/everything/current' will give
you lots of error/status messages.

3. /var/log/
   Most of your error logs reside here.  E.g. If sshd fails, go look
in /var/log/sshd/

4. Of course, init scripts usually have 4 things you can do:
  # /etc/init.d/foo status
  # /etc/init.d/foo start
  # /etc/init.d/foo restart
  # /etc/init.d/foo stop

5. Before you go and edit /etc/init.d/foo -- make sure you know what you're
doing.  They are typically well-crafted and you set your configurations
in /etc/conf.d/foo.  That said, sometimes it is necessary to change these
scripts.  Perfect example:  On a laptop, if you are using mysql or apache
as applications (rather than as a public server), you may want to change
the line 'need net' to 'use net'.  That way, if you're in Timbucktu and
your computer doesn't find any network at all... it will still start mysql
and apache for your personal use.  Otherwise, the network script will fail,
and all the 'need net' scripts will 'fail' like dominos.  (Sorry for the
pun.)

--
                     G a b r i e l   M .   B e d d i n g f i e l d