Owen Ford wrote:

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 20:26 -0600, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

Don't many ISP's also offer the babysitting service for your computer?  That
is, take your box to the ISP's actual building and leave it there (plugged
in).  Administer the box remotely.  Only time you need the ISP people is
when you want someone to hit the power switch for you.

That's called Colo where I come from and it's hella expensive.  You
could lease your own server for less.

Depends on what you need, really. I offer colocation space & managed services (firewall, bandwidth, etc) at a decent price. Fortunately, I have enough room in the colo facility to put odd sized machines. :)

If you lease a server, you generally don't own the hardware. That might not matter to some, but to those that like to upgrade every now & then it could be an issue.

There isn't a one size fits all solution for many cases. :)