On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:44:54 -0500
"Dave Nebinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Try running
> > >    X -configure
> > >
> > That command doesn't work.
>
> That's because, with Xorg, the command should be "Xorg -configure".
>
> However, don't expect too much from the output of this command.  On my
> system it couldn't recognize the ATI Radeon card I have (it elected to use
> the ati driver rather than the radeon driver).
>
> Your best bet for X is to let the system generate one, then go in and
> hand-edit the file to match your hardware specifications.  Focus
> specifically on the definition for the driver, screens, and monitors.
>
> All of the specs for your particular components are available online (for
> the monitor frequency stuff), and basic configuration for the driver/screens
> should almost work out of the box.
>
> My x, as well, initially wanted to drive the monitor at 1900x1600 (or
> something like that) which actually did work although it was a little too
> small to work with.  By adding lower modes to xorg.conf resolved this
> problem but it was a manual process (not an automagic one).

Two common problems arise with this.

1. the monitor isn't detected properly resulting in some lowest common
denominator resolution like 640x480. Usually a problem with older
monitors. often these will do 1024x768 but you need to put in HorizSync
and VertRefresh lines into your monitor section. I have often found the
correct ones by googling for my monitor model number, usually found on
the back of the monitor if its not got any info on the front.

2. the monitor is detected but is capable of a higher resolution than
you like, X will default to the highest resolution. fixable by inserting
a modes entry in the Display section of the Screen section of the config
file.

There is a very good intro here:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-linuxxwin-i.html

and of course the gentoo documentation here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml