I'll bet you have the "nptl" use flag, which requires 2.6 or better.
rebuilding glibc with:

USE="-nptl -nptlonly" emerge glibc

can probably make your system work with the 2.4 kernel, however you
might just break even more things in the process.

perhaps trying one of the other varieties of 2.6 kernels would give you
better luck?

--
Scott Taylor - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<rac> C++ can't improve - it's saddled with the design decision of C
 syntax compatibility, which makes it like writing _naked lunch_ in the
 olde english of _canterbury tales_: "whan thon junky amidst yonder
 veins spiketh"