On Tuesday 01 February 2005 07:40 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[And didn't mention Rumen Yotov, whose comments are prefixed with "> >"]
> > First you should upgrade portage: emerge sync (check as i'm using
> > esync).
>
> I have already done this.. and I have upgraded the portage itsself to
> the latest version ( I think).
>
> > Update your system profile: /etc/make.profile to at least 2004.0
>
> How do I do this? What code?.

Browse usr/portage/profiles and make a symlink to the appropriate directory
as /etc/make.profile.  when you are done you should have something like
this:

#ls /etc/make.profile -l
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 47 Dec  5 20:40 make.profile
-> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.3/

> > Then check for new packages: 'emerge -Du system/world -pv'.
>
> I'm not sure, what the purpose of this... I can see a lot of the kernel
> sources in /usr/portage/sys-kernel... but  am not sure what the *right"
> kernel sources and the kernel itself to use for XFS filesystem.

I'm just running gentoo-dev-sources which gives me 2.6.10-r6 + gentoo
security and performance patches.

Pretty much any 2.6 kernel will give you XFS support.

> Thanks anyway. Another thinkg is that I have a ltmodem driver for my
> existing kernel and I am curious as how to upgrade the kernel, ( the
> whole thing) without the internet connection lose, as this is the only
> machine for me to do things.

1) Don't overwrite your old kernel.
2) Have your bootloader provide 2 options (old kernel that you know works +
new kernel that you are going to try).

Then you can boot into your new kernel to see if everything is working.  If
not, you can always come back to your old kernel to find out how to fix
the new one.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]