Hi!

In my /etc/fstab, I added the following line:

/dev/SigmaTel /mnt/SigmaTel auto defaults,noauto,users 0 0

The "mount" manpage says:

|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂIfÂnoÂ-tÂoptionÂisÂgiven,ÂorÂifÂÂtheÂÂautoÂÂtypeÂÂisÂÂspecified,
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂmountÂwillÂtryÂtoÂguessÂtheÂdesiredÂtype.ÂÂIfÂmountÂwasÂcompiled
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂwithÂtheÂblkidÂlibrary,ÂtheÂguessingÂisÂdoneÂÂbyÂÂthisÂÂlibrary.
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOtherwise,ÂÂmountÂÂguessesÂÂitselfÂbyÂprobingÂtheÂsuperblock;Âif
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂthatÂdoesÂnotÂturnÂupÂanythingÂthatÂlooksÂfamiliar,ÂÂmountÂÂwill
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂtryÂÂtoÂÂreadÂÂtheÂÂfileÂÂ/etc/filesystems,Âor,ÂifÂthatÂdoesÂnot
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂexist,Â/proc/filesystems.ÂÂAllÂofÂtheÂÂfilesystemÂÂtypesÂÂlisted
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂthereÂÂwillÂÂbeÂtried,ÂexceptÂforÂthoseÂthatÂareÂlabeledÂ"nodev"
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ(e.g.,Âdevpts,ÂprocÂandÂnfs).ÂÂIfÂÂ/etc/filesystemsÂÂendsÂÂinÂÂa
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂlineÂÂwithÂÂaÂÂsingleÂÂ*Âonly,ÂmountÂwillÂreadÂ/proc/filesystems
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂafterwards.

Because of that, I set my /etc/filesystems to contain *only*
the following line:
vfat

Now I mounted "/dev/SigmaTel". I expected, that the "vfat"
filesystemtype be used, but:

[08:29:46 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~] $ LC_ALL=C mount -v /dev/SigmaTel
mount: you didn't specify a filesystem type for /dev/SigmaTel
       I will try type msdos
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /mnt/SigmaTel type msdos
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Why's that? Why did the "msdos" filesystem get chosen? When
I mount the device "manually", I can (successfully) use the
"vfat" filesystem.

[08:29:52 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/udev/rules.d] $ mount --version
mount: mount-2.12p

[08:30:39 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/udev/rules.d] $ uname -a
Linux exp01 2.6.8.1-ck9 #2 Fri Oct 8 11:45:40 CEST 2004 i686 Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

sys-fs/udev-050

Thanks a lot,

Alexander Skwar
--
 A new chef from India was fired a week after starting the job.  He
kept favoring curry.