I have a dilemma. and I don;t know gentoo well enough to solve it on my
own.

I don't want to perform compiles _every_ single day/week to catch up
with x86. Doing emerge -uDv world is great at first but gets a bit
tiring in the end as one has to fix/figure out what bombed (if any.)

There are also some packages which are _not_ being used (eg:
squid/kdelibs) which I do not want it to be upgraded -at_all_

I read about using package.mask and thus I placed

>=www-proxy/squid-2.5.7-r2

Doing that and doing an emerge -uDpv world, I see that instead of
wanting to upgrade, it now wants to downgrade it.

How do I tell it that I don't want it upgraded at all??

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz