> Just how does an ebuild work, would it be
> easy to make a bash scipt which Slackware already use for building
> packages?

Emerge et. Al. are python-based scripts for the most part, but they have a
great deal of dependencies for the rest of the system.

For example, if you check your /etc/init.d files you'll see in gentoo that
they are basically extensions of /sbin/runscript.  There's other
expectations (i.e. slotted automake/autoconf, etc) that also needed.

While the ebuild script might be portable (I don't really know for sure), I
doubt that you could easily overlay gentoo stuff onto a slackware dist.

> For a real Gentoo issue I'm depending on the 2.6 kernel and used the
> bootstrap-26 script and built the 2.6 kernel. After this ordeal I was
> still
> not rewarded with any bttv drivers. Now can I rectify the .config and
> still
> use 'genkernel' or should I install the kernel as I do in every distro?
> And
> why are they disabled in the kernel, is it endorsed to build the driver
> from
> bytesex.org?

I think you'll get different results depending upon who you ask for this
one.  I tend to manage my own kernel, but I do it specifically because I
have my own preferences about what should be in-kernel and what should be
modules, etc.