Hello:
  I'm trying to install Gentoo on an IBM xSeries 236 (Dual Xeon). When
I run scripts/bootstrap.sh, after some time it stops with an error
trying to emerge groff.
  This is the message from a stand alone emerge:

livecd portage # emerge groff
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 3) sys-apps/groff-1.19.1-r2 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) groff-1.19.1.tar.gz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking groff-1.19.1.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/groff-1.19.1-r2/work
 * Applying groff-1.18-infoext.patch ...

[ ok ]
 * Applying groff-1.18-no-netpbm-depend.patch ...

[ ok ]
 * Applying groff-man-UTF-8.diff ...

[ ok ]
 * Applying groff-1.19.1-stack.patch ...

[ ok ]
 * Applying groff-1.19.1-tmpfile.patch ...

[ ok ]
 * Applying groff-1.19.1-parallel-make.patch ...

[ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
gcc
g++
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking that C++ compiler can compile simple program... no
configure: error: a working C++ compiler is required

Here is my /etc/make.conf
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O3 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"