William Yang wrote:
While I understand how to avoid applying these changes, I'm trying to understand why this change is now being recommended. I'm also confused, as http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=mod_auth_mysql doesn't show mod_auth_mysql as being stable, and the latest stable for mysql is 4.0.22-r2 on x86 architectures.

Why these downgrade recommendations?

Did a bit more research in the cold and sober light of day. A few things are going on. Looks like in prep for going to 2.8 they changed the versioning somehow. Before 20030510 was the latest. Now it's 1.1 and since that's ancient you've got wacky mysql requirements. I'd mask it, stick with 20030510 or whatever you've installed, and wait for 2.8.

2.8 has a nice little feature at the moment of hijacking all your .htaccess files regardless if they call mysql or not. Instead of having to explicitly call mysql you now have to explicitly deny mysql by adding AuthMySQLEnable Off to .htaccess files that do not use mysql. Hopefully that'll save you from a day or two of insanity.

kashani