hey guys, Thanks,

     Tried the suggestions about the ServerLayout section, I'd had
similar entries in there before, still nothing happening to the other
monitor when I launch X, no errors seem to be generated either. Is
there something to do to get the secondary graphics card & monitor
working generally under Linux first?

Here's my server layout section:
Section "ServerLayout"

    Identifier  "Simple Layout"