On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 12:14, Nick Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 11:04 -0500, Nick Smith wrote:
> > i read up on the man page of rsync and got that this command will backup
> > my server to another external drive i have:
> >
> > mail root # rsync -avz / /mnt/backup/
> >
> > but when i run that command i get a bunch of 'no such file errors' and
> > then it starts coping everything. is this bad?

Well... it's probably not doing any harm, but rsync is trying to make
copies of /proc, which is not real files.  Try

rsync -avz --exclude=/proc / /mnt/backup/

Upon inspection, you'll find there are probably other places you'll want
to exclude.

> sorry for replying to my own email, but i wanted to add, that it would
> be nice if it would check to see if the file already existed from a
> previous backup and if it had the same date/size etc it would skip it
> and move on to the next file, because alot of these files wont be
> changing (this is an email server, and archived mail wont change) does
> my current setup allow for that or do i have to do something different?
> because i think that would speed up backups considerably, no?

rsync -a is already doing exactly that.  You should run rsync again
immediately after it's finished, and notice that only changed files are
listed the second time.

-- Arran