On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:13:56 -0800, Grant wrote:

> > > I don't have anything in /dev/sound.  Here's /etc/modules.d:
> > >
> > > aliases  ath_pci  i386  ppp  slmodem

> All this extra stuff is being done on the off-chance that sound wasn't
> working because alsa was compiled into the kernel instead of as a
> module.  Why would alsa work as a module, but not when built into the
> kernel?

Probably because you are using the slmodem drivers. which also have
something to do with ALSA. I don't know the details, but when I installed
slmodem on my laptop, it warned that the also driver had to be a module.
you also need to re-emerge slmodem after compiling a new lernel.

> Avoiding all of this is one of the reasons I moved up to 2.6.

It's not the same problem as with 2.4. there, ALSA was separate fro the
kernel, so you had to re-emerge alsa-drivers after recompiling the kernel.
With 2.6 the ASLA modules are compiled at the same time as the rest of the
kernel, so having them as modules causes no extra work.

--
Neil Bothwick

This is a test of the emergency tagline stealing system.