I have been in coversation with the writer of the HOWTO: DWL-122 USB and havn't gotten much further. Maybe someone on this list has some usefull input.

I really want to get this working. I think the problem is somewhere with hotplug. Perhaps because I have no wlan.agent file?

My latest reply follows:

Julian,

Thanks for your help and quick relply. No, I don't have a wlan0 when I run iwconfig, and I am running 2.1-pre23 linux-wlan-ng. I just ran an emerge to make sure everything was up to date and double checked my use flags as mentioned.

The module I mentioned I found by doing a "locate prism"

/lib/modules/2.6.10-gentoo-r6/linux-wlan-ng/prism2_usb.ko

and found this module. I loaded it using modprobe allthough nothing special seemed to happen.

Here is the results of my /var/log/kernel/current messages (I use metalog)

Feb 3 12:08:22 [kernel] hStart = 1040, hEnd = 1176, hTotal = 1344
Feb 3 12:08:25 [kernel] agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
Feb 3 13:48:43 [kernel] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: wakeup_hc
Feb 3 13:48:44 [kernel] hub 3-0:1.0: debounce: port 2: total 100ms stable 100ms status 0x101
Feb 3 13:48:44 [kernel] usb 3-2: new device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
Feb 3 13:48:44 [kernel] usb 3-2: adding 3-2:1.0 (config #1, interface 0)

As you can see I don't have any messages from hotplug. Also I tried running kudzu after plugging in the device to no avail.

- Brad

Julian Coccia wrote:

Bradley,

No problem, I will be happy to help you.

First of all, make sure first that *emerge -s linux-wlan-ng* shows version 0.2.1-pre13 or later. If you have an earlier version, then DWL-122 support was not included yet. (also, if you want the USB support compiled you have to emerge it with: USE="usb -pci" emerge linux-wlan-ng

If you are not sure, you can also download linux-wlan-ng and compile it manually.

Also you said that the module is loaded ? What happens when you execute iwconfig ? Does it show your wlan0 device ?

Regards,
Julian

Bradley Serbu escribió:

Sorry for emailing you. Just let me know if you don't feel comfortable helping me out this way.
I read your blog post D-Link DWL-122 Wireless USB Adapter linux HOWTO <http://julian.coccia.com/article-53.html>
online and also in the gentoo forum (which is down righ now) and I am having trouble getting mine to work.
I am running the 2.6.10 kernel sources with the necessary WLAN config settings you refered to.

I also have the linux-wlan-ng package emerged with USB USE.
I have plugged in my device and when I check the dmesg command and my /var/log/kernel/current logs it shows that the system is finding the device (Side Note: I don't have a /var/log/messages file! is this now depreciated??). However I don't see any output where hotplug is taking over and added a wlan0 to my device tree. I checked my /etc/hotplug and didn't see a wlan.agent file or anything relative.

I also made sure that my prism2_usb module was loaded (however I compiled directly into the kernel) for save mesure using modprobe but it didn't help.

Therefore I can't continue with any wlan configuration after this.
I would really appreciate your assistance or a point in the right direction. If this email is too personal.

Thanks,
Bradley Serbu