On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:51:59 -0500
Bradley Serbu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Are the message details/events the same.  I am specifically looking for
> the hotplug messages after plugging in an usb device.  (Also, I'm not
> seeing those in everything, rather kernel/current)
>
> Also, does compiliing packages with the debug use flag increase the
> verbosity of the log?

the debug use flag's effect varies per package, it is the upstream software
writer that governs what debug messages are generated by their package. Many
have a debug compile option which programs in a number of hooks which usually
slow things down but produce voluminous messages.

Most packages do also have runtime debug options, see the package's config file
which are usually well commented, the man page, or the documentation in
/usr/share/doc/packagename-version/

as for hot plug i usually find the kernel log to be the first port of call, and
dmesg. I am not sure how to increase the level of logging.
 this may help: http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/?selected=debug