Jason Edson wrote:
Mark Brier wrote:

Jason Cooper wrote:

Does it die with the same error in the same place each time?  If not,
you probably have a hardware problem.  Typically, either your CPU is
overheating (check the fan) or the memory is bad (run memtest86, replace
bad sticks).
It does seem as if it's dying at the same point every time, but I am not so sure. I'll run it a few more times and check it. The CPU is at 25 degrees, there's a lot of cooling in my box, so I don't think it's that. I will reboot and try memtest86.

BTW, Some programs compile, such as memtest86 for instance, others make it crap out, such as ximian-open-office and xfce4.

I had the same problem when after I got the install done i would reboot then try and "emerge kde". It would get a part of the way done then crap out at diffrent points. I finnally found the problem. I have 2 sticks of 512Mb RAM and I took out one of them and boom, it works great now. I thought it was a heat problem but I guess I just got some bad RAM. Just my 2 cents.

Memtest ran for a day and found nothing.

Rebuilding a brand-spanking new nptlonly. Fingers crossed!

--
  .~.   Mark Brier
 / v \  [EMAIL PROTECTED]