Admin wrote:

Not necessarily, but it may well be an idea to strip some "extras" out
of X.org (such as composite, if you're trying to use it).

So you think it is better to use X11 for slower machines?

No, mostly because XFree86 is no longer in the Portage tree, so you're only asking for trouble in the future if you get all attached to it now.

An X server is, at base, just an X server; it's not so much that XFree86 is significantly different from X.org in the sense of being a "lesser" drain on a system. An X server of any flavor is going to be a heavy drain on a system with limited resources. However, X.org has additional overhead in the area of optional features that you may have enabled, which are not going to be of any use to you and may actually "hurt" you insofar as your system is trying to display things that it is not capable of due to the limited resources.

If you are going to run an X server, your best bet is to reduce the overhead of your desktop (by using the lightest possible desktop), so that what resources you have are free to be used by your programs, rather than the desktop itself. The necessity to draw desktop wallpaper, desktop icons, fancy window borders, and taskbars take up resources that you may not be able to spare, and definitely slow down your ability to actually accomplish something with the desktop (like opening a program, saving a file, etc).

2) What is the status of these lines in /etc/inittab

# TERMINALS
c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
c2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
c3:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
c4:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
c5:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
c6:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

Do you actually even have consoles available (i.e., do you have a getty
installed, and are these lines which configure them uncommented)?

Yes, you're right. There's no getty because I've removed fbgetty due to the problems. Which one you propose to install?

No proposal from me, sorry; I don't know anything about the specific features of the different gettys available (and never cared to explore), so I just take the default (which is, afaik, the above).

Holly