I noticed the file /var/lib/portage/config and wonder what it is.
I could not find it mentioned in the portage, emerge, or ebuild man
pages.  I also looked in the portage chapter of the handbook.

I ask because I have a problem with it.  For some reason I cannot
understand this file was moved (I guess by me) to
/local/var/lib/portage/config and presumably a symlink left in
/var/lib/portage.  However, there is no symlink in /var/lib/portage
and a new version of config has been generated.

The same thing occurred with /var/lib/portage/world, but I understand
this file and merged the two versions (after checking the new small
one for sanity).

Should I also merge the two config files and can I alphabetize them
and uniq the result?

thanks,
allan