This one has me stumped.  I am quite used to having problems with the
way gentoo sets up the clock and can usually fix them.

In this case, the hwclock is accurate, its the OS thats wrong!  When I
sleep the laptop, on wakeup, the OS is varying times ahead of the
(correct) hwclock - ntp soon corrects it and its back in sync again.

However, if no network is available, the hwclock seems to get set to the
incorrect OS time at some point.  If a network is available, I get two
cron jobs (i.e., tripwire sweeps) that should have been run once over
the interval.

This laptop worked fine up until I did a complete reinstall after a
corrupted file system.  I suspect it might be something in gnome as I
first noticed it after I looked at the gnome clock applet and clicked,
then unclicked the time sync option.  However, I cant find a process, or
reason for whats happening.  /etc/localtime and the rc.conf entries are
correct (as utc, and Perth Australia) and time keeping is fine even when
ntp is stopped and the machine is running - its only after a sleep
period.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>