try and find out if the proper modules are loaded by doing a "lsmod".
if the 3 com module is not loaded, the try loading it manually. nic
modules are present in /lib/modules/2.4.x.x/kernel/drivers/net/. do
"insmod module_file_name" from there. or better still do a "modprobe
module_name". modprobe will automatically load the needed dependencies
as well. module name is usually the module filename without the
trailing ".o".
to automtically load modules at startup, add the module names you want
to load in the file /etc/autoload.modules/kernel-2.4. the syntax is
just one module name per line...

after you make sure the module(s) are loaded, you can always restart
eth0 by doing "/etc/init.d/net/eth0 restart"

if you know you are gonna use the network all the while then why
compile it as a module dude? compile it in and all the headaches must
be gone ;)

-Shuveb Hussain