On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:25:05 +0000, Kevin Philp wrote:

> http://sentinelsecurity.net/whitepapers/diskcloning.pdf
>
> I used this to clone all the partitions on one harddrive and copy them
> to  another, including the boot partition. Easy and it works.

The main problem with this approach is that dd is incredibly slow,
especially with large disks. I used it to clone a 250MB disk recently, ran
it overnight and it was still going the next morning :(

You can speed dd up by increasing bs, but this documents warns about
using the wrong block size. Even so, you are cloning the unused space on
the disk too, so it will always be inefficient. Partition image is a much
better way of cloning filesystems, as long as the target partition is at
least as large as the source.

If the target partition is larger, you end up with a filesystem the same
size, which you enlarge to fill the partition with
resize2fs/resize_reiserfs/xfs_growfs/whatever.

--
Neil Bothwick

If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?