On Monday 07 February 2005 07:41 pm, "Captain FantastiK"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't have a Good experience about USE-Flags but I wanted to know if
> its a good idea to compile my packages with static support. Does it
> optimize ?

This just makes your programs statically linked.  This means the won't use
shared libraries; if you have the binary and are on the right system, they
will run.  [Can be good for stuff you want to put in an initrd, or some
embedded system.]

However, at the system level this will cause a lot of duplication both on
disk and in-memory, increasing the size and memory requirements of a full
system.

[The linker can perform some optimizations when staticly linking that it
cannot when doing dynamic linking, but they are largely inconsequential
and somewhat offset by prelinking.]

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]