> This enables portage logging to the specified location, which is
> disabled by default. Portage creates two different logs per package. One
> contains all the compiler/make/stuff output, the other the messages that
> you want to see (which one contains the messages can be easily
> determined by having a look at the filesize, i.e. the smaller one is
> what you are looking for).

Does anyone know of a way to use grep to pull out only the lines
containing these important messages from the files contained in
PORT_LOGDIR?

Each lines appears to begin with an asteriks, however something like
this does not work for me:

# grep -E '^\*' /var/log/portage/*

I must admit that my regex skills are limited.

Matt