I've heard that the M is closer to the P3, but with some P4 features. Thus it'd be smart if there were an M class. Since there is not, P3 is recommended.

Heinz Sporn wrote:
Hi!

I'm running my HP nx7000 Pentium M 1.5 GHz with

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

for almost a year now. Although some people suggested not to use
-march=pentium4 this box is running a stable Gentoo for over a year now.
I even use that machine to compile binary packages for the rest of my
real P4s.

Am Mittwoch, den 09.02.2005, 00:28 +0100 schrieb Juan Ignacio Sánchez
Lara:

Hello all

Tomorrow I'll perform my first Gentoo install. I'll do it in a Acer
4002 WLMi Laptop (Pentium M 725, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, Intel
Wireless 2200BG). I'd like to ask for suggestions about it, specially
dealing with CFLAGS. I'm printing Gentoo Handbook for fast reference,
but I'll also have a working PC with Internet connection by me in case
of problems ;-).

First of all, I'll partition my HD with SystemRescue CD 0.2.15 and
QTParted, since I'm not an experienced fdisk user and I have to resize
a FAT32 partition. Then I'll be using a 2004.3 minimal Gentoo CD for
the installation. I've already tested both boot on my laptop (I must
disable hotplugging on SystemRescue due to a hw_random problem).

Summary of my questions: :-)

a) What optimizations would you use? I've heard that this version
already has specific CFLAGs for Pentium M, instead of using p-III
ones...

b) What else should I know to success in less than two days? Please
enlighten my path with your experience :-)

Thanks in advance

-- This site uses frames And yet your browser does not. One of these will change.