> G'day All;
>
> I'm in the process of buying a new PC and I'm thinking of going with an
> AMD64, but it's been about 6 years since my last hardware purchase :-)
> so a bit of friendly advice is most welcome. This is what I'm thinking
> of getting...
>
> AMD64 3.0Ghz CPU
> Epox 8KDA3J Motherboard
> Liteon DVD+-RW SOHW 1653S02C
> 120G Western Digital SATA HD (might get two and go RAID but I probably
> don't need it)
> nVidia GeForce FX5500

Uh, you forgot - really decent power supply.  If you're thinking
of re-using your old case and power supply, forget about
the power supply.  It really needs to be solid.

> I know the video card is dated but I'm not gamer and mostly happy with
> the nVidia TNT2 I have at the moment, so I don't see the need for
> anything better (unless there any horrible compatibilty issues with it)

I'd suggest looking for a 5200 with a passive heat sink, 128 MB memory or
so.

> Any advice or comments extremely welcome.

Ahh...opening yourself up to the bias' of others.

Ok.  So forget the 754 pin socket.  You'll get a nice performance boost, 8% to
10%
by going with a 939 pin socket, plus some future proofing, not that that's going
to help a lot.  The pain for this is the cpu will be around US$16 more and you
have
to by DIMMs in pairs, thus - 2 512 MB DDR3200 DIMMs (current US price for
Mushkin
High Performance Level II 222 matched pair is $242).

Also, you might be served a bit better with something like the Shuttle SN95G5.
It has the same chipset as the Epox motherboard - nForce3, but includes a
suitable
power supply and is almost dead silent using a Gfx card with no fan on it.
Otherwise
the Gfx fan is the annoying sound you'll hear.  Though the Pioneer DVD drive I
use
tends to make a mighty whoosing sound while ripping audio CDs.

And you might want to surf - http://www.silentpcreview.com/ if noise is any type
of factor in your consideration.

Bob
--