Friday 11 February 2005 11:07 - Michael Thompson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a issue where I cannot connect to my server because the
> firewall only allows ports 80 and 443 out.
>
> I previously ran SSH on port 443 to overcome this, but I have had
> to implement a HTTPS solution for users who wanted secure access,
> so that is now gone.
>
> This system has DNS records for ssh.server.co.uk and
> www.server.co.uk, so can I use IPTables or similar to recognise if
> it is being connected to via ssh.server.co.uk on port 443 and
> forward the traffic to port 22? If www.server.co.uk:443 is used
> apache gets the traffic? Or is this (As I suspect) Impossible?

You could use the string-matching target patch at netfilter.org here:

http://www.netfilter.org/patch-o-matic/pom-extra.html

It will match strings within the packet -- I have not yet tried to use
this, although I suspect you could use this to parse SSH/HTTPS
requests to their appropriate destinations.  Also, be careful of the
possible performance hit.

_k