On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:33:23 +1100, Robert S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thank you for your comments on the 2nd and third points of my original post.
> I'm still struggling with emerging sawfish.  The first question (the most
> important)  remains unanswered.  Has anybody had problems with seting up the
> WindowManager?  Any tips on how to do this??
>
> One of the things that has impressed me the most about Gentoo so far (along
> with a lot of other things) is the fact that most packages work pretty well
> "out of the box" without bugs.
>
> As a reminder - here is the main problem again:
> When I go to Desktop prefs -> Windows, I get the message
>
> "Cannot start the preferences application for your window manager"
>
> Window manager "unknown" has not registered a configuration tool
>
> If I go to the theme manager and change the theme, my windows disappear
> (ie titlebar and borders)

I've got a really stupid question, but what is the exact version of
the "latest and greatest" Gnome that you installed? AFAIK, you can't
necessarily change the window manager with Gnome 2.x -- you're pretty
much stuck with Metacity. Installing Sawfish won't really get you
anywhere (unlike with Gnome earlier than 2.x).

The reason I ask is because I haven't seen an error like that since
the old Gnome 1.4 days, when you could swap out the default WM
(Sawfish, IIRC) for a different one (like, say, Enlightenment)...

Did you actually get Gnome fully installed? There are a LOT of
dependencies, so it's usually best to use either "emerge gnome" or
"emerge gnome-light", rather than trying to get all the dependencies
yourself. "gnome" will get your everything except xscreensaver, while
"gnome-light" is missing some other nifty packages, and seems severely
limited from my perspective, but YMMV...