I've been doing manual emerge updates (a.k.a not cron) for awhile now
because emerge kept wanting to update alsa-driver to 1.0.8-r1 and the
compile kept failing.  This morning I actually looked closely at the
beginning of the emerge of alsa-driver and noticed a message that said
${ALSA_CARD} NOT DEFINED; COMPILING ALL DRIVERS (or something like
that.)  I remembered awhile back that someone on this list had a
similiar problem and that someone told them that the driver compile
would fail if the hardware the driver was for did not exist on the
system.  I found the Gentoo Alsa Guide online and it said that I should
find out what my soundcard was and cross-reference it with the Alsa
Soundcard Matrix.  I did that.  I'm not sure I understood the
information the Matrix provided, but this is what I think it means:

baby root # lspci | grep 'audio'
0000:00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 04)

The Matrix (to the best of my understanding) said that I would use the
es1371 driver for my sound card.

I entered that in /etc/make.conf:
ALSA_CARDS="es1371"

I ran emerge -u alsa-driver.  Just before it fails, it says:

checking for which soundcards to compile driver for... configure: error:
Unknown soundcard es1371

Did I give the wrong driver?  I think I got it right.  Also mentioned in
the Alsa Soundcard Matrix were ens1371 and snd-es1371, but I modprobed
both of those and didn't find them.  I successfully modprobed es1371...