And thus add to the confusion of which manual to use (there's what,
four already?) as well as adding more maintance? I think it'd be
better to just print out the "Printable Manual" and learn how to use
tar, if you need to be networkless. The problem is, Gentoo is not the
best used software without a network. You're stuck with whatever
precompiled packages are on the packages cd, and then there's nothing.
If you know how to cross compile, then I'm also assuming you would
know how to untar the file without having to download it first.

FYI: It is not that hard to install either way, you still end up
untarring a file, only in the case of the Universal CD, the source
archive is in a different location...