Thanks,

Op zondag 13 februari 2005 16:15, schreef Gabriel M. Beddingfield:
> Hmmm... I wonder if you're supposed to do 'emerge metadata' first.  In
> handbook (6.a.) it says to do 'emerge --sync' -- which you didn't do
> because of nonetwork.  I would guess that the stage3 tarball has the
> metadata already set up... but maybe not.
Indeed.

> There is no -r6 in portage.  Current stable ebuild is -r5.
Is gave me these only. Not r5 but r6.

> What do you get, verbatim, when you enter this:
> # emerge =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r5
>
> If it fails, maybe try 'emerge metadata' and then try again.

Unfortunately I gave up. I need this laptop up and running tuesday, and gave
ubuntu a chance. So I now cannot try anymore.

I posted a message in the gentoo thread just after this thread, about
documentation of non network systems. I beleive it is not only broken, but
also far too cluttering for network installs.  But that is off topic here.

> On my fully functional and installed gentoo system, the '--usepkgonly' will
> give you exactly the same errors you posted.  Which packages is it looking
> for online?  Does it say anything about bad MD5's?
No it does not.

> FYI, some sample emerge commands (and errors) on my system are below the
> sig.  You'll probably see some old friends there.  :-)

I, indeed got the exact same errors. Which brings me to beleive the
non-network install is simply broken, or at least the documentation lacks
some important part on setting a flag, or a config option.

Regards,
 Bčr
--
 [ Bčr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]