Bill Six wrote:
I'm trying to emerge Gnucash. When I do a pretend
emerge I get

[ebuild NS ] gnome-base/control-center-1.4.0.5-r1 +nls 0 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-extra/gtkhtml-1.1.10-r1 +nls
1,005 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-extra/guppi-0.40.3-r2 +nls
+python +readline 992 kB
[ebuild N ] app-office/gnucash-1.8.9 -debug -hbci
+nls -ofx +postgres -quotes 9,223 kB

First question: Why is it trying to emerge control center in a new slot (I already have that exact version installed)

No you don't... you have

"* gnome-base/control-center Latest version available: 2.8.1-r1 Latest version installed: 2.8.1-r1 ..."

but gnucash wants

 [ebuild  NS   ] gnome-base/control-center-1.4.0.5-r1

Not the same version at all.

The second question is, does anyone else have trouble getting control-center to compile? From the error it appears like something with GnomeVFS. I have no idea though.

I did have a similar problem, but did not investigate much before just finding an alternative personal finance management program.

My impression, though-- based on the dependency on that old version of control-center-- was that the old version of control center was perhaps not the only "old version" that gnucash needed. I got the feeling that the current 2.8 version of gnome-vfs might not be backwards compatible with the version gnucash wants (given that the current control center clearly isn't). Is gnucash maintained? Is there any information on the website as to whether it is or planned to be compatible with GNOME 2.8?

I'd check Bugzilla and see if there are any workarounds if I really wanted to use gnucash; myself, I just found alternatives (none of which I actually use anyway, so I can't even recommend one).

Not much help, but for what it's worth.

Holly