On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 15:47, Andrea Barisani wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 08:41:16PM -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure I've got mailman working now, so I move on to preparing
> > sendmail for use by my remote users.  I looked at /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
> > and couldn't help but notice that it was much much shorter than my
> > Fedora Core 1 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file was out-of-the-box.  I was
> > wondering what features Gentoo's sendmail package provides
> > out-of-the-box, and if it would harm sendmail if I were to copy over my
> > server PC's sendmail.mc and .cf files.  Would this work, or is sendmail
> > already like I need it to be?

The only thing which you should be aware of is whether you're using
procmail as your MDA. Under Fedora, this is the case.

Im not sure if the -out-of-the-box in gentoo uses procmail, but i
lookked at my .mc  file and  have it there.

> Our sendmail.mc is pretty simple and it contains only the basic directives
> for defining the OS and the Local Delivery Agent. We are considering adding a
> commented sendmail-gentoo.mc (or some official doc) in the future even if we
> prefer to keep it very light, it's my personal opinion that all users should
> read and understand the configuration before deploying an MTA.

Unlike fedora, gentoo forces you to learn the inner workings of the
system. It is by far the best method to actually learn anything. Sure,
if you're just a user, it's fine, but if you want to learn, it's best to
look under the hood.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz