Frank Schafer wrote:
Hi,

I need to patch my kernel with:

http://shayol.bartol.udel.edu/~rhdt/download/acpi_sbs-20050120.tar.gz

to make the battery monitor work.

Cause of such tasks I used to use vanilla kernels from kernel.org before
gentoo. I had to learn from this forum that the system don't know where
the kernel sources are if the kernel sources wasn't installed using
emerge.

Now my question:
The gentoo kernel is heavy patched already. This often leads to failure
of further patches.
How can I make a copy of the kernel sources before applying the patch
and ensure that the system knows furtheron where the kernel sources are?

Thanks
Frank

You don't have to use the gentoo-patched sources; vanilla sources are available through Portage as 'development-sources'. Emerge those, patch to your hearts content, and have the best of both worlds...

... if you want to have the best of all worlds possible, copy the development-sources ebuild to your PORTDIR_OVERLAY, edit it to patch the sources automatically with your selected patch (see any gentoo-dev-sources ebuild for the methodology), and emerge that instead of the "regular' ebuild. Portage will still know where the sources are, and your patching will be automated.

HTH,
Holly