Holly Bostick wrote:

> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>> Holly Bostick wrote:

> <snip>
>> No, no package installed. I use the in-kernel version.

>>>1) Try alsaconf. Maybe your card isn't being properly configured (so
>>>alsasound doesn't know to load the module).
>>
>> Been there, done that. No change. Still doesn't load my module.
>>

>>>However, afaik, there is no "better workaround" than putting the module
>>>in /etc/modules.d.autoload/kernel-2.6. After all, that is what that file
>>>is for-- it *is* the "better workaround". My onboard sound chip (a VIA
>>>8233) also requires semi-automatic loading in order to work properly; it
>>>may have something to do with the fact that it *is* onboard sound, and
>>>thus is related to the loading of other motherboard resources before it
>>>can be detected. Is your intel8x0 also onboard, or is it a separate card?
>>
>> onboard. It's just annoying because if I run `/etc/init.d/alsasound stop`
>> then it unloads my soundcard module, but if I run `/etc/init.d/alsasound
>> start` then it doesn't load it back in. Placing the module in the
>> kernel-2.6 file helps at boot, but it does nothing to help this init.d
>> case.
>>

> OK, if the module is not loaded in the first place, then how does
> stopping alsasound unload it?

It's currently being loaded at boot time by /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

> I have this sense that somewhere you said
> something about "device busy" being displayed (but now I can't find it);

Doesn't ring a bell. Different post maybe?

> that message (if it exists) suggests that the device is being loaded by
> the kernel before alsasound tries to load it. That would suggest that
> the module is compiled as a module [M] and not directly into the kernel
> [*], which, although it seems like it should be correct, never worked
> properly for me.
>

> Secondly, why are you stopping alsasound at all?

Various reasons. Unstick a sound card while playing with bluetooth,
test settings, etc...

> Does sound work if you
> just let things remain as set up after boot?

Yes, but only if I place snd-intel8x0 in the kernel-2.6 file.

> What I would suggest is that you either:
>
> 1) Get a real sound card (I just replaced my onboard sound with a nice
> CMI 8738 card, and Soundblaster Live!s of various stripes are available
> for about the same price or less; I paid about Euro 30, but I could have
> gotten something adequate for half that). It really helps to have a
> distinct card available for detection by normal means, rather than a
> "motherboard resource" which involves BIOS configuration as well as
> kernel and OS configuration;

Sorry, but that is a bit asinine.

> 2) Confirm the sound chip's configuration in the kernel, and also
> confirm the ALSA settings.

Been there, done that.

> 2b) Confirm your modules.autoload.d settings. Here was the
> modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 settings that worked to load my VIA 8233
> onboard sound without errors:
>
> # For example:
> # 3c59x
> #fw-loader
> snd-mixer-oss
> snd-pcm-oss
> snd-seq
> #snd-seq-oss (loaded by snd-seq, so commented out)
> snd-via82xx
> supermount (unrelated)
> #via82-cxxx_audio (I tried using OSS for a while)
> #ac97_codec (ditto)
> gameport (onboard game port)
> ns558 (analog settings for onboard game port)
> sidewinder (game pad connected to onboard game port)
> fglrx (unrelated)

That's just it. I shouldn't have to put my sound card module in kernel-2.6
if it has already been detected by alsaconf.

> 2c) Confirm your /etc/modules.d/alsa settings (maybe it's looking for
> the wrong module or something; again, this is for my VIA 8233, but you
> should see the point):

No, it's correct.

> 2d) Oh, and if your /etc/modules.d/alsa is correct, maybe you should run
> 'update-modules' manually; alsaconf seems a bit dodgy to me when running
> the setup scripts and unmuting the volumes.

Been there, done that.

> 3) And I can't help but ask-- are you *absolutely sure* that intel-8x0
> is the correct module for your onboard sound chip? What is the make and
> model of the board?

Uh, yes. Sound works fine. The only problem is that `/etc/init.d/alsasound
start`
doesn't auto load my sound card module.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator