> My questions are :
>
> a. Why is this happening (i.e. is this a bug, or a misconfiguration on my
> side)
> b. How should I fix this ?

Don't believe it's a bug, but then I'm not running emacs so I don't have
that use flag set.

You could try an env-update, which would rebuild the ld cache and might
resolve it.

> c. Is gpm a must?, I can't really verify that I use the mouse in the
> console.
> if not how can I remove it(gpm) from [system] so that the [emerge -e]
> can be finished successfully.

You can do an "emerge -C gpm" to remove it, and no it is not necessary.
Although I do a lot of stuff from the console and find gpm to be very handy,
it's totally up to you to keep it or dump it.