On Wednesday 16 February 2005 06:44 am, William Kenworthy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My perl seems broken.
>
> Should I manually purge the older 5.8.0 stuff and rerun the utilities,
> or is that "a bad idea"?  How best to fix?

Some (all?) perl modules end up bound to a certain perl version.

There's a script available (can't remember the name, ATM) that will
automatically remove and remerge all your perl modules.  Unfortunately,
last I heard it ended up adding them all your your world file. (This is
not a problem, per se, but generally perl modules are pulled in as
dependencies so they fon't really belong in world.)

You can always fix the packages individually by running:
emerge -C <package>
emerge -1 <package>

(The -1 is for --oneshot which prevents the package from being added to the
world file.)

HTH

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.