My wife's father recently brought us another PC - a Sony VIAO.  We
decided that it would be my wife's computer because I'm always using our
HP.  We took it to the shop last Friday to get the hard drive and RAM
upgraded and then got it back today.  My wife wanted me to install
Gentoo on it, but this is proving difficult for me.  The problem is
this:  The computer is so old that even though the BIOS is set to boot
from CD before attempting to boot from the hard drive, CD booting
doesn't work.  The only way to install Gentoo that I know of is by
booting up the LiveCD.  I need a 3.5" floppy disk alternative.  Is there
a way to make a 3.5" floppy disk that would allow me to boot the
computer and then mount my Gentoo CD and continue from there?  So far
today I've tried the following:

Attempt:

Creating a boot-up floppy from my FC1 installation

Result:

Floppy booted successfully to a point, but then repeated       "hdb:
interrupt lost" indefinitely

Attempt:

Downloaded and wrote to floppy the Fedora Core 1 bootfloppy.img from the
Fedora site.

Result:

Same as above

Attempt:

Downloaded and wrote to CD image of pocket-linux (www.pocket-linux.org)

Result:

Booted up successfully, but had no /dev/cdrom0 to allow me to mount the
Gentoo CD.  I could not find the correct device to mount the CD-ROM
drive.

Attempt:  Went to Knoppix site looking for floppy images

Result:

Site was in German, so I could not understand it.

My wife and I are moving to another town in a few days, and I would
really like to have Gentoo on her machine before we go.  Please help!