Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:06:51 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:

The root of a partiton belongs to the user that mounted, whjich is
root if it was mounted from fstab. Check out the uid and gid options
in man mount to mount it as a different user. You need something like

/dev/hdX /home/herb ext3 uid=xxx,gid=yyy,other,options 0 0
I thought that the uid= and gid= options were specific to vfat partitions (at least that's what man mount says).

You're right, but I hit this problem once and fixed it. Maybe it was as simple as setting ownership of the mount point before attempting to mount the partition.

Yes, that's how I do it for ext3 (and also ext3 has a groupid option that was useful). For Reiser, I seem to have to set the mount point permissions, then one time have root go in after the partition is mounted, and recursively change the permissions for all the files, and then it never gives me any more problems (subsequent mounts are correct in terms of ownership).

I do wish it was as simple as uid= for other partition types, though.

Holly