On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:27:42AM -0800, Bob Sanders wrote:
> Typically it's the graphics drivers hanging the AGP bus.  But you
> didn't memtion if you were running xscreensaver.  If you're
> running xscreensaver, do -
> Then, when it hang again, ssh in and killall xscreensaver.

Well, a lockup happened again last night (of course *not* while I
was using the computer).  Funny thing is, I can ping the locked
machine, and it responds as though everything was okay.  But I
cannot ssh into the computer.  ssh does not timeout (like it would
if the host were down); after I type "ssh host" and press enter, it
just sits there---I let it sit there for about 30 minutes before I
got impatient and hard-rebooted the machine.

But, FWIW, I am running xscreensaver.

> Look in /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card
> If you have SBA and Fast Writes on, try turning them
> off - /etc/modules.d/nvidia

I'm hesitant to try this, only because the lockups are so random.
It's been almost two weeks since it last happened; I have a feeling
that I could get lucky and it won't happen again forever (or it
could happen in the next five minutes).  Either way, it's hard to
determine the solution when I make a change and then just wait.

> For general system testing - not graphics, but it will rule out
> other hardware problems, there is - app-benchmarks/stress.
> For Gfx issues, I typically, run - x11-misc/rss-glx by launching 3

Yup, I think this ought to be my next step, to see if I can
consistently duplicate the problem.

<checks the "Really Slick Screensavers" hompage>  Wow.  Those look
awesome!  Stress testing that is both productive AND entertaining!

> The other useful tool I've found is setiathome.  It doesn't do
> anythign for Gfx testing, but it does help out in keeping the cpu,
> cpu bus, memory bus, and ide/scsi bus active enough to remove
> doubts that those might be a problem.

I've had setiathome running on this machine since I built it over a
year ago, so perhaps that's another indicator that the problem is
graphics related.

Another side note: I have another computer running on virtuall the
same hardware, with which I use the same kernel, etc.  X11 does seem
to lock up from time to time on this machine, but I can still ssh in
and kill/reset processes as needed.

Thanks again!
Matt

--