> Did the package you tried to re-emerge actually use any of the USE
flags
> you changed? The most common use for --newuse is emerge --newuse
> (--update) world, to re-emerge all packages that use the new flags.

Yes it did or at least I'm sure it should! Is there anyway to find out?

I was re-emerging PHP and mod_php with the use flag mssql.

I checked afterwards with

# equery uses php

[ Searching for packages matching php... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend    : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf              ]
[           : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for dev-php/php-4.3.10 ]
 U I
+ + mssql       : Adds support for Microsoft SQL Server database

The mssql bit shows up red.

But if I do a phpinfo();  it shows me the configure statement had
'--without-mssql' in it.

So maybe php is unaffected by the use flag mssql?

> If you're just changing the flags for one package, you might as well
> just change the flags (either in /etc/make.conf or in
> /etc/portage/package.use) and just re-emerge the package normally.
>
> Holly

Thanks

Gareth