On Friday 18 February 2005 08:36 pm, "Walter Dnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 10:55:51AM -0600, Will Clifton wrote
>
> > I have a question about my make.conf for my new P4 Prescott 3.2.
> > Before I get too busy installing I want to set my CFLAGS to get the
> > most out of my chip. Is the following too much? I'm not a programmer,
> > but this is what I got out of reading some forum posts and man gcc. I
> > also read the setting the -march flag to "prescott" causes problems.
> > Has any one else experienced this?

The particular argument to march has to be recognized by gcc; I'm not sure
what versions (if any) supported prescott as this argument.

> > Any opinions are appreciated.
>
>   -O3 is a baaaaaad idea.

Guys, I've been running -O3 ever since I installed gentoo.  It's not broken
on PII (or any x86 arch).  Theoretically, it can slow down programs
because of cache issues; I haven't seen this effect in practice.

-O3 is edgy though.  It has been broken (and certain arches) before, and
may be now or in the future.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]