Grant wrote:
I'm also concerned about sending my
password for these systems over the internet in clear text.

Ah, you're doing that whether you are doing it manually or automagically via a cron task. So if you're not worried about the manual upload, why worry about the automated upload?

I'm not any more worried about it with the automation.  Just a misunderstanding.

Based on the systems you've mentioned (google & yahoo), alternate methods
(i.e. sftp, scp, etc.) might not be available to you.  Wput will work for
uploading via ftp and it's probably going to be your only option.

I think you're right.  Does this mean anyone could easily intercept my
login and password and log in as me?
You could check, if your ftp server doesn't support ftps (ftp over TLS/SSL). there are 3 ways to use ssl with ftp. and one of it has some ways for securing connection. so you can ask your server admin, if its possible.

Regards
Martin