Johan Viklund wrote:
This is so true, I did not even know there was a problem, as my filter
is set so that if [gentoo-user] is in the subject then its goes to the
gentoo folder.
This will also fail at some time, because this header is not under the
exclusive control of the list server. If someone sends you a private reply
to a list post without editing the subject, your filter will put it in the
gentoo folder.

How is this an unwanted behavior? If it's a subject discussed on the list I would want it with the other mail from that list.

You see, that's how people are different, as I don't. Mail from the list I may not read in a timely fashion, or respond to promptly (if at all).

Mail to me (whether personal, or off topic) I want to know is to me personally, so I can treat it with the respect that all personal mail to me generally gets (although I do have one personal OT mail I haven't responded to, if the user who sent it is reading this, sorry, I haven't forgotten).

Filtering OT list mail addressed to me personally (and not received by the list) to a folder for this purpose helps me recognize it as personal. If the mail goes to the list folder, I naturally assume that the entire list received it, and do not recognize that this is not the case until I read the mail (which, it being list mail afaik, I may not do for quite some time).

Holly