On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 08:08, A. Khattri wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, James wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for pointing out about iftop and iptraf.
> > >  I'll  take a look. RRD-style graphs would be
> > > nice as was pointing out  by A. Khattri.
> >
> > Cacti is great for RRD graphs.
> IIRC, cacti only works for SNMP enabled devices.  Try as I might, I
> can't get it to graph my eth0 NIC.

Two things:

1. Is Cacti and the device the same box? If not, then you need to setup
the Cacti box as a trap for the SNMP messages. You will need to set
community strings, open firewall ports, etc etc.

2. Cacti can also use scripts to pull values (the example I saw pulls
weather data and draws graphs of temperature, precipitation, etc). As long
as the script produces values in a one-line key-value arrangement (see
example scripts) you can graph it.

Cacti takes awhile to learn but is worth it when you figure it out.