Frank writes:

> I plan to update my gentoo installation this weekend. I rather ask
> before having trouble.

> I have Cisco VPN Client installed. I know there is a new version of
> Cisco VPN client out there which I don't have access to.

> How can I update my "world" leaving this package as is?

In case you have net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des-4.0.5 installed, add
the line
        >net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des-4.0.5
to /etc/portage/package.mask . This will prevent higher versions from
being installed. 'man portage' gives more information.

> I remember from
> the past that emerge stops at the point it has problems with a single
> package so the remaining don't get updated.

You can continue afterwards with 'emerge --resume --skipfirst'.
When doing huge updates while being away from the computer, I do it
like this:

emerge world -ua || emerge --resume --skipfirst || emerge --resume --
skipfirst || emerge --resume --skipfirst || emerge --resume --
skipfirst || emerge --resume --skipfirst

        Alex
--
  Alex Schuster     [EMAIL PROTECTED]             PGP Key available
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]