Raphael Melo wrote:

|>If I /etc/init.d/postgresql start, it works like a charm.
|>
|>Note that both servers are configured to listen on tcp port 5432. So
|>this is not the problem :)
|

| Only one server per port. If one is running, the other is blocked. So,
| change the port of the first one to 5433 or something and both
| instances will run fine at the same time.

Hmmm, I imagined that my two postgresql would give this type of interpretation :)

I run one process each time :)

I will use emerge postgresql to talk about the postgresql installed with
emerge which *works*

I will use home postgresql to talk about hte postgresql which is
installed in my home and started by my user which *doesn't work*.

| As for the compile from sources, did you edit the pg_hba.conf on the | folder where your database is stored? It specifies the hosts that can | connect to postgre and the authentication methods. With the sources, | it blocks almost everything by default. |

I also was pointed to that. But just to make sure, I checked both
pg_hba.conf, mine from home install and from the emerge. They are both
identical. I even had to edit the emerge version because after
connecting, postgresql complained about no pg_hba conf for my host.

When I start my home version, I can't even stablish the connection. I don't know if postgresql can control the tcp at this level even before a client socket connect to it, so I think this may be some type of permission in socket. The issue is that I couldn't find how it is done with emerge postgresql.

| If these don't work, | | # netstat -anp | grep tcp | | and you'll see what processes are listening or | | # netstat -anp | grep post | | to see if postgre or postmaster are listening on any door. |

Yeap, I can confirm that it is working. netstat -an | grep 5432 tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5432 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 25216 /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

This is from my home postgresql.

Indeed, if I try to connect in my own linux host to it, I connect
without any problem.

But when I try telnet myhost 5432, I get the connection refused.

Does this make sense?

Can you shed some light?

Hmmmmmm, after doing the netstat with my home postgresql, I saw the 127.0.0.1:5432, which if I remember from my tcp classes that it would be only listening on 127.0.0.1 interface...

If I run the same netstat with emerge postgresql I get:

netstat -an | grep 5432
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5432            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     26743  /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

And here I get 0.0.0.0:5432, which would mean I can connect from any interface.

Hmmm, now the question is: How do I make my postgresql listen to all?

Ok, ok, nevermind....

after some checking on postgresql config files, I found the following:

home postgresql 8.0.0:

#listen_addresses = 'localhost' # what IP interface(s) to listen on;
~                                # defaults to localhost, '*' = any

emerge postgresql 7.4.2: #virtual_host = '' # what interface to listen on; defaults to any

And after doing the correct configuration.....

Voilą!! It worked!!!

Thank you very much all for your help!

- -- Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Membro Fundador do Projeto MonoBrasil - MonoBrasil Project Founder Member
http://monobrasil.softwarelivre.org

"Science without religion is lame;
religion without science is blind."

~                  ~ Albert Einstein