1. Nothing wrong with using the system. The updates don't interfere with the stuff you are running. Liinux isn't like Windows in that respect. The only time I've gotten out of X was to upgrade from XFree86 to Xorg.

2. You're lucky. These are updates to config files and scripts so generally if you don't get the updates you haven't really updated your system. Run etc-update and carefully pay attention to what it wants to change. However, some files you should not update such as /etc/fstab and others. Etc-update will let you see what changes it's going to make and allow you to decide.