I may be wrong, but I don't think it is.  From the doc
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=10
:

# emerge grub

All the same, I've "fixed" it.  Because of networking issues with
installing from the gentoo CD, I was installing from something called
KANOTIX-64.  As soon as I booted from the gentoo CD and chrooted into
my system.  Installing grub worked just fine and I can now boot my
system.