I can't figure out why, but this problem seems to have magically gone away this
morning. About the only difference is that I'm now at work and not home, and my
Ethernet cable is not plugged in. All documentation that I've been able to
find, says that this will work, and there are stage 1.5's for each of the major
filesystems. GRUB needs to be able to read the file system and I assume that it
uses the 1.5 stages to house drivers for whatever filesystem it is expected to
access. Anyway, not sure what's different, but it seems to be working fine. If
it happenes again, I'll try and give more details so other can work around
whatever problem I might have bumped into.

Dave