I had an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, and I thanked my lucky stars every day
that I didn't have to use ATI's binary drivers (9000 Pro is the latest
supported by X's "radeon" driver, IIRC). If they supported 32 bit (or
even faked it as an alias to 24 bit), I'd be happier. But no, every
game that I had seemed to want to init in either 16 or 32, and not 24.
So every game I had would crash (the only one that wouldn't was
Counter Strike).

My nVidia GeForce FX 5200 256MB plays all my games perfectly. SimCity
4, CS, HL, 1942, DC, DC Final, and so on. Tuxracer runs fine, too. But
I'm mainly concerned with Windows-based FPSes, since that's what I
play the most.

I don't know if ATI's drivers have started to suck less, but they did
a month and a half ago. I personally recommend staying far, far away
from ATI.

(But my ATI card ruled in Windows -- again, YMMV)

--
"Microsoft is a lot better at making money than it is at making good
operating systems."